Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Land of the Lost

Although I was in college and had mostly outgrown Saturday morning television by 1974, I had a nephew who turned me on to Land of the Lost, and I was quickly hooked. Land of the Lost was a high concept show for Saturday morning, with ethical and moral lessons wrapped in a heady mix of time and space travel, where the intrepid Marshall family encountered dinosaurs and aliens while attempting to survive and find a way home. Got that? The effects were extremely silly, but that never seemed to matter much.

This program was very strange, and had some really scary moments with the Sleestacks lizard men. Chaka, a young member of the indigenous tribe, fascinated me. I could never decide if he was a kid or an adult little person. If you're interested, there are full espisodes on YouTube. To whet your appetite, here's the first third of the very first episode. Notice the hokey effects, especially in the opening...

No comments: