Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Timelapse As A Window On Our Lives

As most people, I suspect, I have long been fascinated with time lapse photography. As a student, I remember watching films of seeds emerge from soil and evolve into plants; water droplets splash into beautiful geometric patterns, clouds run across the sky as day and night blended into one magical vista. But the advent of putting technology into the individual's hands has allowed the growth of new ways of expressing time through photography. The film I offer today, for example, shows not just a year's follicle growth on the man's face, but the changes the life experiences made on his visage as well. I find herein an expression of beauty that I have only found in fictional accounts previously. For me, there's a richness of texture and feeling to this film that transcends mere documentation and moves into the realm of poetry.

No comments: