Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Life After the Hydrogen Bomb At My House


The Seal, 3 .5 x 1"

Remember those objects I mentioned yesterday...the odd melted metal objects dad brought home from Eniwetok? You know, remnants from all those lovely Hydrogen Bombs that were tested on Eniwetok? I thought you might like to see some photos.

The Fetus, 12 x 8 x 2"

I confess to some curiousity about whether these brutally melted bits of metal would register any activity on a geiger counter, but I haven't any thought of where I might find such a device locally. Locally, of course meaning on the Quimper Peninsula. I'm not interested enough to drive to Bremerton or Seattle.

Comma Madonna, 4 x 2.5"

Dad brought one more thing home from work, but this ceramic-esque triangle came from Hanford. I (very) vaguely remember him saying it had some function involving the reactor, but I have NO idea what that might be, do you?.

Triangular Reaction, 3/4"

I only remember the little I do because of my mother's extreme alarm about the safety of this object. Mom had good reason to question dad, btw. One of the things I remember playing with in my dad's workshop was a tall baby food jar full of mercury. I remember holding some of that very strange liquid metal in my hand, letting it roll around. It was very cold and very heavy. Dad didn't really see the harm, but mom made him get rid of that, as I recall. Yeah, well...what's a little mercury poisoning amongst friends? Besides, the absorption rate through unbroken skin is only about 1%...surprising, eh? Arr, tis the fumes ya must watch fer, matey...

No comments: