Saturday, December 27, 2008

Brother, Can You Spare a Dime...an anthem for our times

As I sit here with a full belly and warm house, bemoaning my lack of funds, I cannot help but think about the people either about to be or already on the streets due to our failing economy. I worry that the weight of the terrible mess he's inheriting will crush Barrack, his underpinnings already ravaged by the tremendous tide of our expectations. When I think of the hunger and want and the desire most have to actively help themselves, I often find myself singing a song written in 1932 by the same fellow who penned the lyrics to "Somewhere Over The Rainbow," Yip Yarburg. Strikes me "Brother, Can You Spare A Dime" could be an anthem for our current times, too. And so I offer a more modern take on that sad and wonderful song of the Great Depression, this time featuring Dr. John and Odetta over photos of the world right outside your door. Most of us aren't but a paycheck or two away from the streets...


No comments: