Sunday, December 14, 2008

Sunday Uplift: In praise of snow's shadows and light

Snow on Brushy Creek, Texas

It snowed last night! I'm not sure why the first snow of the season is so exciting but it always is. This morning the world is blanketed in white, changing everything in this artist's eyes. In a way, this is a response to a wish, for I've been working on painting snow scenes recently, trying to learn the change of light and colour that happens with snow.

I mean, you think of snow as white, right? Well just as with the "green" of trees, there are a myriad of colours lurking within that "white." Blues, purples, greys, yellows, reds...I see all those and more. Now to find a way to capture them with paint.

Honestly? I find little in art compares to the majesty in nature. Doesn't mean I won't keep trying to capture the way nature feels, mind. I'm just sayin'...

And so we get to the Sunday Uplift segment of our programming. Today I have combined the wonder of nature, snow, and art with a lovely short film created for the Shaker gallery of Greenwillow Farm depicting the Agano Snow Scene by Japanese woodcut master Hiroshige. For more information visit greenwillowfarm.com - video produced by southcountydigital.com



As a wee bonus, just in case anyone reading this has gotten cold with all the talk of snow, here's a fire to warm your virtual cockles...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Els. Hope you downloaded the Donovan boot :)
I'm glad you left a comment on my blog.Otherwise, I would not have found yours. I really like it, it's very warm and personal.It's a breath of fresh air to me. Nice pics, btw :)
Cheers

~*~Patty S said...

Well you thought of everything, crackling fire and all! I Love snow, the smell, the hush it gives to everything and the way it glimmers and sparkles in the sunlight! Beautiful post TFS, no snow here in N VA.....yet, just rain.