Sunday, June 14, 2009

Sunday Uplift: Massive Monstrous Manbeasts and Scary Rubber Hands!


Okay, here's the thing. As a kid I was CRAZY about the cheesy sci-fi flicks of the time. Not Godzilla so much as the ones made in the USA during the mid-50s, especially ANYthing to do with the Atomic Age or Aliens. I also favoured comics with that theme, and I still have most of my Strange Adventures and Mystery In Space comics, bagged and boarded, thank you very much. But this isn't about comic books, it's about silly sci-fi movies of my childhood. My two favourites were The War of the Colossal Beast, the sequel (yes, I said sequel) to The Amazing Colossal Man, and The Invasion of the Saucer Men. I loved these movies, and would watch them over and over and over on Saturday television's completely ridiculous Creature Features with Bob Wilkins out of Sacramento/San Francisco. If you care, there's a complete list of the films shown at the CF link above.. One fun tidbit is the voiceover in the trailer for Saucer Men, which is being done by Paul Frees, a gentleman whose resume is absolutely stunning and worth your time to read.




No comments: