Friday, August 28, 2009

Dreamy and Surreal Art for a Drowsy Summer Afternoon

Sandman by Dave McKean

Some of you will know Dave McKean's artwork from the animated film Mirrormask, others from his collaborative efforts with Neil Gaiman and Ray Bradbury in book form, or literally dozens of other places. Distinctive, surreal, strangely compelling, McKean's work is certainly worth the minute, twenty seconds it takes to watch his lovely interpretation of Shakespeare's Sonnet 138.




When my love swears that she is made of truth,
I do believe her, though I know she lies,
That she might think me some untutored youth,
Unlearned in the world's false subtleties.
Thus vainly thinking that she thinks me young,
Although she knows my days are past the best,
Simply I credit her false-speaking tongue,
On both sides thus is simple truth suppressed:
But wherefore says she not she is unjust?
And wherefore say not I that I am old?
O love's best habit is in seeming trust,
And age in love, loves not to have years told.
Therefore I lie with her, and she with me,
And in our faults by lies we flattered be.

No comments: